Full disclosure…I did not grow up eating Chicken Parmigiana. It wasn’t something my family made and I never ordered it out in a restaurant (besides the occasional chicken parm hero from the local pizzeria) because I don’t really like to eat red sauce out. My husband and his family love Chicken Parmigiana, so I learned how to make it and would make it for family dinners when they came over. But, I still didn’t love it. Mostly because its fried and so HEAVY. If you follow me, you know I am all about taking recipes and making them healthy AND delicious. And right now that involves my Instant Pot -a LOT! This recipe for Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Parmigiana was a hit in my house. My Chicken Parm devotee husband even said it was the best he has ever had. You won’t miss the fact that it isn’t breaded and friend. And the best part is that it was on the table in under 30 minutes!
Ok, first things first. Let’s talk about the Instant Pot. Do you have one yet? If not, what are you waiting for? I have a lot of appliances and kitchen gadgets (remember that waffle iron and ice cream maker you just had to have on your wedding registry?) that sit in a closet and collect dust or that I have given away. I was skeptical at first, but dare I say that this one item has changed my life. So, which one to get ? For a family of 4, the 6 quart works quite well:
If you are a larger family, I recommend an 8 quart!
I served this with a side of green beans with cherry tomatoes. An easy, healthy, and delicious meal that took less than 30 minutes to make!
Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Parmigiana
- 2 Pounds Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 3 Garlic Cloves, sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Marinara Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Parsley or Basil
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with the salt, pepper, and oregano
- Press the "Sauté" button on the Instant Pot and add the Olive Oil
- Once the display shows "HOT" add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring so the garlic doesn't burn
- Add the marinara sauce and the parmesan cheese and cook for 3 minutes. Press "CANCEL" to turn the pot off
- Place the chicken in the pot, trying not to overlap, and spoon sauce over the chicken. Close and lock the lid
- Press "MANUAL" on your Instant Pot and adjust the +/- to 4 minutes. Once the pot comes to pressure, the timer will begin to count down.
- Allow Natural Pressure Release. Once the pressure is released, unlock the lid and turn the pot off.. Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken and put the lid back on with locking it for 5 minutes to melt the cheese
- Remove to a platter and sprinkle with the fresh parsley or basil
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES: