Have you embraced a plant based diet? While my family is not vegetarian, I am always trying to incorporate more plant based meals into our regular routine. A great way to start small and add more plant based meals into your diet is with Meatless Monday. Each Monday commit to a meatless dinner for your family. It doesn’t have to be complicated. This recipe for Brown Rice, Bean, and Spinach Burritos was developed by using ingredients I had on hand! Its a quick and easy recipe for a weeknight dinner and make great leftovers for lunch the next day.
More and more evidence has determined that a whole food plant based diet can improve your health by helping lower cholesterol and blood pressure, reduce the risk of heart disease, help regulate your blood sugar, and maintaining a healthy weight. Also key to over all health is your digestive health and your Gut Microbiome. Did you know that your gut microbiome plays a huge part in your overall health and immune system? It is also linked to things like inflammation and mental wellness. The Gut Brain Axis plays a huge role in things like stress, anxiety, sleep, and mood.
These Brown Rice, Bean, and Spinach Burritos would pair great with my Cauliflower Ceviche, a recipe inspired by our trip to Cabo San Lucas a couple of years ago.
Looking for more Meatless Monday Inspiration? Try my other Vegetarian Favorites!
Tofu Chickpea and Spinach Curry
Spinach, Tomato, and Goat Cheese Quiche
Brown Rice, Bean, and Spinach Burritos
This recipe for Brown Rice, Bean, and Spinach Burritos is a quick and easy weeknight meal that is also healthy and delicious
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 15 ounce can organic low sodium red kidney beans, Drained and rinsed
- 2 cups fresh chopped spinach
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 .Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped Cilantro
- Optional Toppings:
- Hot Sauce
- Non Fat Greek Yogurt (A healthier, protein packed option to Sour Cream)
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Heat Oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, cumin, red pepper, and salt and sauté until soft and the spices are fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Add in cooked rice and the beans. Stir to combine.
- Add in chopped spinach. Cook for 5 minutes until the spinach is wilted and all the ingredients are heated through. Add chopped cilantro.
- Spoon into tortillas and with the toppings of your choice
Would love to hear what you think!