Have you embraced a plant based diet? While my family is not vegetarian, I am always trying to incorporate more plant based meals into our regular routine. A great way to start small and add more plant based meals into your diet is with Meatless Monday. Each Monday commit to a meatless dinner for your family. It doesn’t have to be complicated. This recipe for Brown Rice, Bean, and Spinach Burritos was developed by using ingredients I had on hand! Its a quick and easy recipe for a weeknight dinner and make great leftovers for lunch the next day.
More and more evidence has determined that a whole food plant based diet can improve your health by helping lower cholesterol and blood pressure, reduce the risk of heart disease, help regulate your blood sugar, and maintaining a healthy weight. Also key to over all health is your digestive health and your Gut Microbiome. Did you know that your gut microbiome plays a huge part in your overall health and immune system? It is also linked to things like inflammation and mental wellness. The Gut Brain Axis plays a huge role in things like stress, anxiety, sleep, and mood.
These Brown Rice, Bean, and Spinach Burritos would pair great with my Cauliflower Ceviche, a recipe inspired by our trip to Cabo San Lucas a couple of years ago.
Looking for more Meatless Monday Inspiration? Try my other Vegetarian Favorites!
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 15 ounce can organic low sodium red kidney beans, Drained and rinsed
- 2 cups fresh chopped spinach
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- ½ Teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ .Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ cup chopped Cilantro
- Optional Toppings:
- Hot Sauce
- Non Fat Greek Yogurt (A healthier, protein packed option to Sour Cream)
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Heat Oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, cumin, red pepper, and salt and sauté until soft and the spices are fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Add in cooked rice and the beans. Stir to combine.
- Add in chopped spinach. Cook for 5 minutes until the spinach is wilted and all the ingredients are heated through. Add chopped cilantro.
- Spoon into tortillas and with the toppings of your choice