There was a restaurant in our neighborhood in Downtown Brooklyn that we used to go to before it closed last year. They had a chicken parmigiana that was different than the typical dish that you get at most places, and my husband loved it. Parmigiana is not something I typically cook and I never order it in a restaurant. The traditional version is heavily breaded, fried, and swimming in sauce and cheese. Not a fan. But, have I mentioned that my husband LOVES Parmigiana of any kind? So, as I like to do, I set out to make a healthier version . Success! If you love traditional chicken parmigiana, you won’t be disappointed with my recipe for Carb Free Chicken Parmigiana
The second part of this story is that my husband had horrible Acid Reflux for years. Recognizing that he didn’t want to be on prescription medication forever, we began trying different things to treat the reflux naturally through food and natural supplements. Success! He is off of all prescription Acid reflux meds thanks to Probiotics and diet change. One of the things he found was that eating a lot of carbs would cause an acid reflux flare up. I recreated the chicken parmigiana he loved, making it carb free and baked instead of fried. Not having to fry the chicken first also eliminates a time consuming step and makes my recipe for this Carb Free Chicken Parmigiana a one sheet pan meal
I served this with a simple kale salad. If you would like to make it with pasta, check out my recommendations for pasta alternatives
Do you have an Instant Pot? Try my recipe for Instant Pot Healthy Chicken Parmigiana
Carb Free Chicken Parmigiana
This Carb Free Chicken Parmigiana is a healthy alternative to traditional parmigiana dishes. Packed with flavor, you won't miss the breading or the frying!
- 2 Pounds Chicken cutlets
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 eggs, beaten with 2 Tablespoons water
- Cooking spray for greasing the baking sheet
- 3 cups Marinara Sauce (homemade or your favorite jarred sauce)
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Uncured Turkey Pepperoni (We like Applegate Farms)
- :Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- To make the "breading", mix together the almond flour, grated cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dip the chicken in the egg and let excess drip off. Dredge in the almond flour mixture. Place on greased baking sheet. Repeat until all chicken has been coated.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Top each cutlet with sauce, a little mozzarella cheese. and 2-3 pieces of pepperoni depending on the length of the cutlet. Return to oven and bake for an another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- I served this with a simple Kale Salad. A delicious, completely carb free meal!
This post contains an affiliate link. As always, all opinions and recommendations are my own
Would love to hear what you think!