As we enter into our fourth week of staying at home, we all find ourselves cooking all the time. The questions of “What’s for dinner” has taken on a whole new meaning and frankly, it can be stressful trying to figure out what to cook all day every day. As we try to stay home more and make less grocery store trips and grocery delivery time slots are like winning the lottery these days, I’ve been trying to cook more from my pantry. Another tip is to make things that you can get multiple meals out of-things like stews, soups, chilis. This Chicken Lentil Stew is a healthy, hearty, and delicious comfort food.
**This recipe for Chicken Lentil Stew was updated on April 7, 2020
Lentils are a staple in our house and I always have some in the pantry. They are super versatile, easy to cook, and inexpensive. An excellent source of plant based protein, lentils are also low in fat and calories, high in fiber, and an excellent source of B Vitamins, Iron, Magnesium, Zinc, and Potassium.
The Ingredients for my Chicken Lentil Stew Recipe
PIN IT!! Save your favorite recipes to Pinterest. Follow The Brooklyn Mom on Pinterest for more recipe ideas and healthy living tips!
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound organic boneless, skinless chicken breast ,cut into 1" pieces.
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dried green lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- Heat Olive Oil in a large Pot or Dutch Oven
- Sautè onions until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add carrots, sweet potatoes, and spices and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the Chicken to the pot and cook until no longer pink.
- Add broth and lentils and bring to a boil. Cover, Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Stir in the spinach. The heat will wilt the spinach leaves
- Check for seasonings and serve warm
Try these other simple, healthy recipes
Disclaimer: This recipe contains an affiliate link