Let’s talk soup. Winter is definitely here in Brooklyn! It’s no secret that I’m not much of a Winter fan, but I do love a good soup when it’s cold outside. My husband has been asking me to make a version of a white bean and shrimp soup that he had at a New York City restaurant many years ago. And of course he couldn’t really tell me what was in it except for white beans and shrimp. Time to start creating my version! The end result was this delicious Dairy Free White Bean Soup with Shrimp and Kale.
How to make Dairy Free White Bean Soup with Shrimp and Kale
I knew I wanted it to be “creamy” without the cream. It was a huge hit! Thick, creamy, and delicious-only without the cream. You won’t miss it! This “Guilt free” Dairy Free White Bean Soup with Shrimp and Kale is healthy, delicious, packed with protein and totally satisfying. Healthy CAN be delicious! Judging by my daughter’s face, I would say this soup was kid approved! I am so passionate about raising healthy eaters!
I like to cook dried beans. Although it does take some time, it’s simple and you can do it whenever you have time and then store them in the fridge or freezer until you are ready to use them. The flavor is amazing and it will save you money too! Dried beans are much cheaper than canned ones. Of course if you don’t have dried beans, you can use canned. Choose organic with no added sodium , this way you are in charge of how salty your finished dish is! Whether you use dried beans or canned beans, my recipe for this Dairy Free White Bean Soup with Shrimp and Kale is a delicious and comforting meal. You can also substitute spinach for the kale if you prefer!
If you are looking for a vegetarian soup option, also try this recipe for Slow Cooker Lentil, Barley, and Kale Soup
TIP: I added a few dashes of hot sauce to mine!
- 2 cups dried white beans, cooked (click
- for a super easy way to cook dried beans)
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Rosemary
- 2 cups chopped Kale
- 1 pound raw peeled shrimp
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil on medium heat in a large pot. Add onion with a little salt and pepper and cook until softened. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add parsnips and cook until softened. Add in beans, the cooking liquid, and the rosemary. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste (Whenever making soups or sauces, its important to season at every layer). Bring to a boil , reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove 1 cup of the beans. Pour the rest of the soup into a blender and puree. Work in batches if you need to. Add the puree soup and the beans back into the pot. Continue to simmer on low heat.
- In the meantime, heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Saute until no longer pink. They will cook very quickly -you only need a couple of minutes per side. Chop shrimp into bite size pieces and add into soup. Add in the chopped kale. Simmer for a few minutes until the kale is wilted and the flavors combine.
- Note: I added a few dashes of hot sauce to mine!