Being Italian, I grew up eating eggplant many different ways. To this day it is one of my favorite vegetables. This Eggplant Caponata is a staple in my family. We usually eat it cold or room temperature as part of an antipasto with baguette slices or whole wheat pita chips.But, it can also be served warm as a side dish or over grilled chicken. Eggplant Caponata is a great make ahead recipe and can be kept refrigerated for 2-3 days.
Not only delicious, but eggplant is a great source of nutrition. They are low in calories and high in fiber and antioxidants. Eggplants are also an excellent source of vitamins such as Vitamin B-6, Potassium, and Vitamin C.
More Italian Recipes from The Brooklyn Mom
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 slices finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons capers, drained
- Add the Olive Oil to a pan over heat medium high heat
- Add the Onions, Bell Peppers, Salt, and Pepper and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes
- Add the and garlic cook for another 2 mins
- Add the chopped eggplant continue to cook until starts to shrink
- Stir in the chopped tomato, pepper flakes , and tomato paste. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 45 minutes, stirring periodically
- Remove lid and continue to cook about 15 mins. Stir in capers.
- Check for seasonings.
- Can be served warm, room temperature, or chilled