The warmer weather is finally arriving and with the warm weather comes outdoor barbecues and dining. For me, outdoor dining means barbecue and lots of fresh, seasonal salads and sides that dont. require a lot of prep or cooking. This Lentil Fava Bean Salad can be made ahead (the longer it sits the more the flavors combine) and is a healthy and delicious addition to any backyard barbecue.
PIN IT!! Save your favorite recipes to Pinterest. Follow The Brooklyn Mom on Pinterest for more recipe ideas and healthy living tips!
Lentils are pretty much a staple in my family’s diet. Not only are they delicious, high in protein, fiber and nutrition, and low in calories, but they are super easy to prepare. Lentils are one of my favorite non-meat protein sources. Fava Beans are in season right now and are popping up in markets and Produce subscription Boxes. Unlike snap peas, they are relatively easy to shell and can be done in just a few minutes. Frozen or dried fava beans are also great choices if you don’t have fresh. Like lentils, Fava beans are a great source of protein, fiber, and nutrition. Combining these two nutritional powerhouses into a delicious salad, perfect for a dinner side or as a dish to bring to a barbecue.
A note-if you are using fresh fava beans, once they are cooked you will need to remove the white outer shell to reveal the green bean.
Want more summer salad recipes? Check out my other favorites:
Lentil Fava Bean Salad :
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup Fava beans, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
- Juice of one Lemon
- Add lentils, onion, garlic and Bay leaf to a medium pot. Cover by 1" with water. Season with salt and pepper and Bring to a boil.
- Add fava beans. Reduce heat and simmer for 18-20 minutes until lentils are tender but still have a bite to them.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Remove the onion, bay leaf and garlic.
- Transfer lentils and fava beans to a large bowl. Add cumin, scallions, parsley, and lemon juice. Toss to combine. Check for seasonings and add more sea salt and pepper if needed!