My recipe for Quinoa with Roasted Beets is perfect as a side dish or as a main meal. I love this delicious and nutritious combination of ingredients! Beets are a great source of many vitamins and minerals: potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, iron, and vitamins A, B & C. And when roasted, they become sweet and delicious. Quinoa is a good source of protein , vitamins , minerals and has a low glycemic index. I added in some chopped spinach because I always add greens wherever I can!
Check out these vegetarian side dishes:
- 3 large beets
- 1 cup quinoa , rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock or broth
- Juice of one large lemon
- 1 garlic clove, mined
- ½ diced red onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap beets in foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 1 hour. Let cool , remove the skin (it will wipe right off) and chop into 1 inch cubes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the vegetable broth, quinoa, and a little sea salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover , and simmer until quinoa is cooked-approximately 20 minutes. Let quinoa cool. Fold in onions, spinach, parsley, beets, and lemon juice. Toss lightly to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.