It’s been a cold, rainy, wintry week here in NYC. I miss the summer, but as the weather turns colder, its the perfect time to break out the slow cooker! I use my slow cooker year round, but I definitely use it more in the fall and winter. We love all kids of soups and stews! My recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Stew is a favorite in our house. It’s an easy to make and delicious comfort food. We don’t eat a ton of red meat, but when we do I really try to buy only grass-fed beef. It is more expensive, but not only is so much healthier for you-grass fed beef has less fat, calories, and cholesterol and has more nutritional value, but it actually does taste better.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Don’t have a slow cooker yet or not sure if you need one? You do! Imagine coming home every night and dinner is already made? I couldn’t live without mine
TIP: Buy one that is programmable in the biggest size you can! Bigger is always better. You can always make less , but having the option to feed large crowds or to double recipes to freeze for a second dinner is everything! I love my All Clad 7 quart from Amazon
As I always say, I like to keep my recipes simple. They are all designed to be able to make healthy, delicious food with minimal stress! You can even throw this Slow Cooker Beef Stew together the night before, refrigerate, and take out in the morning and plug in the slow cooker. You can double the recipe as needed, so it’s perfect for a big family or a party.
PIN IT!! Save your favorite recipes to Pinterest. Follow The Brooklyn Mom on Pinterest for more recipe ideas and healthy living tips!
More for your slow cooker!
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- 2 lbs Stew meat
- 1 Tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves. crushed and left whole
- 5 Carrots, cut into 1" pieces
- 6-8 Small Potatoes, halved
- 3 Cups Organic Low sodium Beef Broth or Stock
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- Season the beef with sea salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle flour over the meat and toss to coat (
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add meat and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes total.
- Add all the onions, garlic, carrots and potatoes to the slow cooker.
- Add meat on top. Add the broth, wine, tomato paste, and spices. Tuck Bay leaves into the stew. Cook on low for 8 hours. Add peas in the last 10 minutes of cooking
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclosure: This post contains an affiliate link