We are big fans of Indian food and flavors in my house! I set out to create my own versions at home to make it “better than takeout” in my slow cooker -healthier and cheaper. Without sacrificing flavor. I got my daughter involved in creating this recipe Slow Cooker Chick Pea and Chicken Curry Recipe by suggesting spices that she thought were in Indian food and helping select what vegetables we would use. I am a firm believer that If you get kids involved in the cooking and the process, they are excited and more likely to eat it!
Serve this Slow Cooker Chick Pea and Chicken Curry on its own or over rice.
Slow Cooker Chick Pea and Chicken Curry
Some of the spices most commonly found in Indian Cuisine are Cumin, Curry Powder, Tumeric, and Cinnamon. I love the warmth of this medley of spices combined with the coconut milk. I try to add Tumeric into my cooking whenever I can, as its a powerful anti oxidant and anti inflammatory.
TIP: You can easily make this dish vegetarian by taking out the chicken and replacing it with tofu or cauliflower!
Or try my recipe for Tofu Chickpea and Spinach Curry!
TIP: If you are looking to get a slow cooker, buy one that is programmable in the biggest size you can! Bigger is always better. You can always make less , but having the option to feed large crowds or to double recipes to freeze for a second dinner is everything! I love my All Clad 7 quart from Amazon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups Dried Chick Peas (Or 2 cans , rinsed and drained)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 sweet potato, diced into 1" cubes
- 1 large red potato, diced into 1" cubes
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 cans (14.5 ounce) No Salt Added diced tomatoes
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons Cumin
- 2 Tablespoons Curry Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Tumeric
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 cups Baby spinach
- Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients into the slow cooker, except for the spinach.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Stir in the spinach in the last 10 minutes of cooking and recover
- Once the cook time is done, taste for salt and pepper