This recipe for my Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas was inspired by my family’s love of Mexican food. Some of our favorite vacations have been to Mexico. We love the people, the culture, the beauty, and the FOOD. If you’ve been following The Brooklyn Mom for a while, you know I love to create our favorite foods at home. Bonus in making them a little bit healthier and easy to make!
The filling for these Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas is cooked in the slow cooker. Set it and let it cook! Once it’s done, all you have to do is assemble and throw them in the oven. Easy enough for a weeknight, but also a great make ahead freezer meal! The sauce takes less than 20 minutes to make and can be make ahead of time and stored in a mason jar or frozen until you are ready to use it. The idea and filling of these came from my Slow cooker Salsa Chicken. I Love multi tasking recipes!
TIP: Buy a programmable slow cooker in the biggest size you can! Bigger is always better. You can always make less , but having the option to feed large crowds or to double recipes to freeze for a second dinner is everything! I love my All Clad 7 quart from Amazon:
You may also like these other Mexican inspired recipes from The Brooklyn Mom:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 16 ounce jar of salsa
- 1 can black beans
- 1 package frozen corn
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 2 Tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Tortillas of Choice
- 1 cup Enchilada Sauce ( recipe below)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup shredded cheese ( a Mexican blend or Monterey Jack works nicely here)
- Put all ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Shred chicken with two forks.
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
- Fill each tortilla and fold in half.
- Place seam side down in a large baking dish.
- Cover with sauce and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes until cheese is melted.