I’m always happy when I can use my slow cooker! Who doesn’t love having dinner cook itself?? Between working two businesses, school and after school activities, and LIFE I feel like we are always running. Maybe that’s because we are. Can anyone else relate?? One thing I do try really hard to do is cook healthy meals for my family so that we aren’t going out or ordering in too much during the week. Living in NYC, the cost of eating out and ordering in adds up quickly! And it definitely is also not as healthy as eating at home. Some weeks I do better than others, but I have found that it’s all about prep and planning. And the slow cooker. This recipe for Slow Cooker Veggie Quinoa Chili can be thrown together the night before or in the morning. Just turn it on and dinner is ready when you get home.
TIP: Buy a programmable slow cooker in the biggest size you can! Bigger is always better. You can always make less , but having the option to feed large crowds or to double recipes to freeze for a second dinner is everything! I love my All Clad 7 quart from Amazon:
When it comes to the slow cooker, I like to keep the prep simple. This recipe for Slow Cooker Veggie Quinoa Chili takes some chopping, but once that’s done you just throw it all in the slow cooker and turn it on. And I promise you won’t miss the meat!
TIP: If you have an hour over the weekend to do some food prep like chopping veggies, it will save you even more time during the week!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes, chopped (throw them in a food chopper or food processor if you have one and just pulse a few times)
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 cup organic black beans ( I used dried beans because that's what I had)
- 1 box Organic Kidney Beans , Drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Quinoa (any variety-I had black so I used that)
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons Cumin
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder (use more if you want it spicier!)
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamom
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup organic frozen corn
- Optional Toppings: Chopped cilantro, Shredded cheese, Plain non fat greek Yogurt (as a sour cream substitute. Great source of protein and much healthier and less fat than sour cream), Hot sauce, etc
- Add all ingredients, except for the corn, to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. In the last half hour of cooking, add the frozen corn.
- Check for seasoning and add more sea salt or pepper if necessary.
- Before serving, top with cilantro, yogurt, cheese, hot sauce, etc if you are using
Fresh veggies, Quinoa, and Beans make this Veggie Quinoa Chili both healthy and delicious!
Slow Cooker Veggie Quinoa Chili
If you are looking for a great Slow Cooker Turkey Chili recipe, check out my recipe HERE!
Whether vegetarian or turkey, chili is always a huge hit and great for both weeknight dinners and feeding a crowd at a party!
More Slow Cooker Recipes from The Brooklyn Mom \:
Disclaimer: This post contains an affiliate link