I’m always happy when I can use my slow cooker! Who doesn’t love having dinner cook itself?? Between working two businesses, school and after school activities, and LIFE I feel like we are always running. Can anyone else relate?? One thing I do try really hard to do is cook healthy meals for my family so that we aren’t going out or ordering in too much during the week. Living in NYC, the cost of eating out and ordering in adds up quickly! And it definitely is also not as healthy as eating at home. Some weeks I do better than others, but I have found that it’s all about prep and planning. And the slow cooker. This recipe for Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili with Quinoa can even be thrown together the night before . Just turn it on and dinner is ready when you get home.
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
TIP: Buy a programmable slow cooker in the biggest size you can! Bigger is always better. You can always make less , but having the option to feed large crowds or to double recipes to freeze for a second dinner is everything! I love my All Clad 7 quart from Amazon:
When it comes to the slow cooker, I like to keep the prep simple. This recipe for Slow Cooker Veggie Quinoa Chili takes some chopping, but once that’s done you just throw it all in the slow cooker and turn it on. And I promise you won’t miss the meat! I like to use dried beans. They have more flavor and are super inexpensive. But, I do keep organic canned beans on hand to use in a pinch, so if you have canned beans feel free to use those!
TIP: If you have an hour over the weekend to do some food prep like chopping veggies, it will save you even more time during the week!
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili with Quinoa
This Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili with Quinoa is packed with protein and full of flavor
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes, chopped (throw them in a food chopper or food processor if you have one and just pulse a few times)
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 cup Dried Black Beans
- 1 cup Dried Kidney Beans
- 1/2 cup Quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tablespoons Cumin
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder (use more if you want it spicier!)
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup organic frozen corn
- Optional Toppings: Chopped cilantro, Shredded cheese, Plain non fat greek Yogurt (as a sour cream substitute. Great source of protein and much healthier and less fat than sour cream), Hot sauce, etc
- Add all ingredients, except for the corn, to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours. In the last half hour of cooking, add the frozen corn.
- Check for seasoning and add more sea salt or pepper if necessary.
- Before serving, top with cilantro, yogurt, cheese, hot sauce, etc if you are using
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Fresh veggies, Quinoa, and Beans make this Vegetarian Quinoa Chili both healthy and delicious!
If you are looking for a great Slow Cooker Turkey Chili recipe, check out my recipe HERE!
Fun Tip: Set up a chili bar with different toppings so everyone can customize their chili to their taste. Some of my favorite toppings are avocado, salsa, greek yogurt (a high protein alternative to sour cream), hot sauce, chopped onions, cilantro, and jalapenos!
Whether vegetarian or turkey, chili is always a huge hit and great for both weeknight dinners and feeding a crowd at a party!
More Slow Cooker Recipes from The Brooklyn Mom :
Slow Cooker Pork and Lentil Curry
Instant Pot Lentil Soup with Ground Pork and Kale
Slow Cooker Lentil, Barley, and Kale Soup
Disclaimer: This post contains an affiliate link
Would love to hear what you think!