By now you know I am obsessed with my slow cooker! I mean…is there anything better than having dinner cook itself? While I use my slow cooker all year long, I definitely use it more often as the weather turns cooler… Chilis, soups, and stews are always on the menu! One recipe that is always on rotation is this healthy and delicious Slow Cooker Turkey Chili (or Crock Pot Turkey Chili). This is great use for ground turkey as an alternative to beef.
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
PIN IT!! Save your favorite recipes to Pinterest. Follow The Brooklyn Mom on Pinterest for more recipe ideas and healthy living tips!
A Crock Pot and a Slow Cooker are the same thing. A crock pot is a brand of slow cooker and the names are often used interchangeably. If you are looking for a slow cooker, I suggest one that has the following features:
-The ability to sautè in it
One question I get a lot is whether or not it is really necessary to sautè meat for slow cooker meals. The answer is No, it’s not necessary, but it is highly recommended. The finished product will be so much better!
I had an All Clad model that I had forever and loved, but it did not have the sautè feature. When I dropped and broke the ceramic insert (also something that only I would do), I researched a lot of the new models and landed on the Instant Pot Multi Use Programmable Slow Cooker. I absolutely LOVE it! If you are in the market for a new slow cooker, or just trying one for the first time, I highly recommend this one.
I love to set up a “chili bar” with an assortment of toppings so everyone can customize their Turkey Chili to their tastes. I always serve my Slow Cooker Turkey Chili with these topping options:
Chopped Red Onion
Greek Yogurt (a healthier, protein packed alternative to Sour Cream)
More Slow Cooker Recipes you may like :
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 pounds Ground Turkey
- 1/4 Cup Chili Powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons salt
- 1 Teaspoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 14.5 ounce Diced tomatoes
- 3 cups Organic Low Sodium Chicken broth or Stock
- 3 15 ounce Canned Beans(we used a mixture of pinto, black, and white), rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon Organic Tomato paste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a pan.
- Add the onions and saute until they are golden brown.
- Add the oregano and cumin spices and stir.
- Add in the turkey and cook until no longer pink and transfer to the crock pot.
- Add all remaining spices, tomatoes, beans, sweet potato, and quinoa and chicken stock.
- Mix in the tomato paste.
- Set the crock pot to low and cook for 8 hours, or High for 4 hours
- Serve with these optional toppings:
- Chopped cilantro
- Greek yogurt (as a healthier, protein packed alternative to sour cream)
- Shredded cheese
- chopped red onions
- Hot Sauce
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.