This winter feels like it’s never going to end. I can’t wait until spring produce and recipes, but for now another freezing day…. Another pot of soup! This one is super easy -I used a rotisserie chicken shredded instead of starting with a raw chicken. The whole soup cooked in under an hour-just the amount of time the rice takes to cook. I put this together After being out all day and not really wanting to order In or go back outside!
If you aren’t eating wild rice you should be! It’s Ah-mazing! Has a great almost nutty flavor. And it’s super nutritious too- it’s a great source of protein, minerals, B Vitamins, and folic acid.
- -1 organic Rotisserie chicken , skin removed and shredded ( you can do this in advance and just store it in a container in the fridge
- -1 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
- -1 onion, chopped
- -2 garlic cloves, chopped
- -4 large carrots, diced
- -8 cups (2 boxes) Organic low sodium chicken stock
- -2 cups water
- -1 cup wild rice
- -1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- -1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- -1 teaspoon sea salt
- - Fresh ground black pepper
- -2 Bay leaves
- -2 cups organic chopped spinach
- -1/4 cup chopped parsley
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and sauté until soft and translucent, approximately 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add carrots, cumin, Italian seasoning, sea salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and cook until carrots are softened, about 10 minutes.
Add chicken stock, water, bay leaves, chicken , and rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover , and simmer for 45 minutes. Add spinach in last 10 minutes of cooking.
Check for seasoning, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve!
Would love to hear how you like it!