Ok, so in theory I always wanted to eat more tofu and like it. But , the reality was I really didn’t like it. Or at least I thought I didn’t. Determined to get more plant-based protein into our diets and eat less meat, I got to work figuring out how to cook tofu and create recipes my whole family would eat. . What I found was 1) It was all in the preparation, and 2) I actually LOVED it! As did my family (kid included!) The key to cooking tofu really is to get the water out of it. You may be tempted to skip this step, but I recommend you don’t! It really makes a difference in the taste and texture of the tofu. One of our favorite recipes is this Easy Tofu Veggie Stir Fry. I used red peppers, broccoli, and string beans but you can use any veggies you like or have on hand. Don’t be afraid to experiment a little! That’s the beauty of stir fry.
Typically, you may find that stir fry recipes are high in sodium and sugar. But, they don’t have to be. In place of soy sauce, I use Bragg Liquid Aminos. It is a gluten free, organic, non GMO alternative to soy sauce which contains 16 naturally occurring Amino Acids and is sodium free. Instead of regular white sugar, I use Raw honey and a small amount of coconut sugar . Coconut Oil adds healthy fat.
Tofu Veggie Stir Fry
Looking for more recipes for Tofu? Try these:
Easy Tofu Veggie Stir Fry
Packed with veggies and plant based protein, this Easy Tofu Veggie Stir Fry Recipe is a delicious, healthy vegetarian meal
- 1 14-ounce package Extra firm Organic Tofu
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets (or 1 package of pre cut Broccoli Florets)
- 2 cups chopped green beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup Braggs Liquid Aminos (a healthier alternative to soy sauce)
- 1 Teaspoon Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain the tofu and place between layers of paper towels. Place a heavy pan on top of the tofu, weighted down with 2-3 cans.
- Let it dry for about 30 min, changing the paper towels half way through
- Chop the tofu into 1 inch pieces.
- Arrange tofu on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 min, turning once halfway through, until brown. This will dry out the tofu and help give it a more meat-like texture.
- Whisk together all of the sauce ingredients
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, add oil.
- Add veggies and toss to coat. Cook for 5-7 min, stirring often.
- Add the sauce and stir. It should bubble and thicken.
- Add the tofu and stir to coat.
- Cook the mixture for 3-5 minutes, stirring often, to combine the flavors