Ok, so in theory I always wanted to eat more tofu and like it. But , the reality was I really didn’t like it. Or at least I thought I didn’t. Determined to get more plant-based protein into our diets and eat less meat, I got to work figuring out how to cook tofu and create recipes my whole family would eat. . What I found was 1) It was all in the preparation, and 2) I actually LOVED tofu! As did my family (kid included!).One of our favorite recipes is this Easy Tofu Veggie Stir Fry. I used red peppers, broccoli, and string beans but you can use any veggies you like or have on hand. Don’t be afraid to experiment a little! That’s the beauty of stir fry.
The key to cooking tofu really is to get the water out of it. You may be tempted to skip this step, but I recommend you don’t! It really makes a difference in the taste and texture.I also always buy Extra Firm Tofu.
- 1 14-ounce package Extra firm Organic Tofu
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets (or 1 package of pre cut Broccoli Florets)
- 2 cups chopped green beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Braggs Liquid Aminos (a healthier alternative to soy sauce)
- 1 Teaspoon Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain the tofu and place between layers of paper towels. Place a heavy pan on top of the tofu, weighted down with 2-3 cans.
- Let it dry for about 30 min, changing the paper towels half way through
- Chop the tofu into 1 inch pieces.
- Arrange tofu on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 min, turning once halfway through, until brown. This will dry out the tofu and help give it a more meat-like texture.
- Whisk together all of the sauce ingredients
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, add oil.
- Add veggies and toss to coat. Cook for 5-7 min, stirring often.
- Add the sauce and stir. It should bubble and thicken.
- Add the tofu and stir to coat.
- Cook the mixture for 3-5 minutes, stirring often, to combine the flavors